1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Place softened butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric or stand mixer on medium speed until smooth.
3. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt, then continue to mix for another minute.
4. Add in the cornstarch and chopped nuts. Then blend for another minute.
5. Start adding flour to the bowl, a half cup at a time, mixing it in and blending, until all the flour is combined to make a crumbly dough.
6. Scoop out a tablespoon of dough and cup it in the palm of your hand. Then press 1/2 of a cherry into the dough, roll it into a ball, and place it on an ungreased baking sheet.
7. Continue rolling up the cherry ball cookies with 1/2 a cherry and place them on the cookie sheet about 1-1/2″ apart. If at any time the dough feels too soft, place it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm it up.
8. Once all of the cookies are rolled up and on the backing sheet, place them into the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom of snowball cookie is slightly browned.
9. Remove cookies from the oven and cool for a few minutes before taking them off the cookie sheet.
10. Pour about a cup of powdered sugar into a shallow bowl and roll each cookie in it, until coated.
11. Place onto a platter to cool, then serve or freeze.